The 2022 Merrickville Heritage Classic is once again in a Virtual format and we are offering 2K, 5K, 10K and half-marathon options. The Organizing Committee had hoped to offer an in-person segment to the run this year but because of the continuing issues caused by the COVID-19 Pandemic, the only safe way to proceed is with a completely virtual run.
- Register for our virtual run at run-merrickville.ca. Track your run on your smart phone or other tracking device, then, if you wish, you may post your result! (Information with the link on posting results will be sent closer to the run date)
- Send us a picture of you and/or your team and we will post on our website.
- You will receive a well earned participation medal made specifically for Run Merrickville at our local foundry.
Virtual Race Safety Recommendations
(The Athletics Ontario website lists the following recommendations for Virtual Race Safety):
- Follow the advice of your local public health authority, to help stop the spread of coronavirus
- Complete your race solo. Do not run with anyone else, unless they live in your household
- If you are running with someone from your household, run single file, allowing others to pass you easily and safely
- Pre-plan your route with safety in mind. Websites like https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ can help you source the correct distance and allow you to pick routes with the least amount of busy street intersections
- Avoid high traffic pedestrian and vehicle areas. Run or walk close to home in your neighbourhood during a quieter time of day
- Adhere to social distancing practices while you are out running or walking. Can you safely pass someone? Can you run safely on the road? Make sure you always have a safe way to move around people to maintain 6 feet of distance.
- Complete your run on a treadmill, if this is an option that is available to you and that you would prefer
- Wear appropriate clothing. Be visible and dress for the weather
- Bring fuel, hydration and hand sanitizer, avoid public water fountains
- Carry a cell phone with you during your virtual race and tell someone the route you are running in case of an emergency